Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Living Room Re-DO!

Shortly after moving in, the room looked like this...
The white walls had to go!
I quickly set to work with a paint brush and the walls became Benjamin Moore's Sandy Brown.
The sofas, tables and lamps were all moved to the Man-Cave.
We purchased a brown leather sofa and chair which was really popular at the time. The vintage chair IS vintage. It came from my Grand-mother's old parlour set. My mom refinished and re-upholstered it and then it found a way to our place. You can never have enough heirlooms in your home.
I thought the space looked great. One day when sitting in the living room, I felt overwhelmed by brown. How had I let this happen?! It had taken some time to acquire the right pieces e.g; new sofa and chair, fabulous rug coffee table and end tables, but when did brown run away with my room?
If you look closely, you will see light blue in the area rug. I had thought about green accents but I was craving blue. When accessorizing a room, throw pillows are always an easy and affordable update. I searched high and low for pillows with the right amount of blue and the perfect shade. I wanted something fresh and fun.
I found them! They are reversible, one side has a lot more blue than the other.
(I apologize for the poor photo quality, I promise there's a lovely shade of blue in the pillow.)
If you haven't noticed, I love mirrors. I especially love quatrefoil framed mirrors!
This round mirror actually has a silvery/blue frame.
I de-browned the room with touches of light blue, silver and gold which I thought added some balance.
The gorgeous frames above the sofa were a DIY project that my Dad and I worked on about two years ago. They are actually tin ceiling tiles that were painted, scuffed and polished off with custom frames. I couldn't find any art to hang above the sofa so we created some. The only cost was the price of the two tiles and now I have amazing art work AND a sweet story to share!
Here is a closer look...
That's all for now, folks!
Stay tuned for more room re-DO's!

1 comment: